Bethany Joy Lenz has been working as an actress on the stage and screen since her early childhood in Texas. She later moved to New Jersey, where she began vocal training with the Director of the Brooklyn College of Opera, Richard Barrett, and continued appearing in various pilots, commercials and films and performing regional theater until she was eventually cast as a series regular on "The Guiding Light."
Lenz remained on the soap for two years, gaining rave reviews from viewers and critics alike. During this time she had the honor of playing Mary Tyler Moore's daughter Rose in the TV movie "Mary and Rhoda." After leaving "The Guiding Light," she moved out west, where she was directed by Garry Marshall in "Happy Days: the Musical" (playing Pinky Tuscadero; musical directors Carole King and Paul Williams) and by Arthur Allan Seidleman in a staged reading of a musical version of "The Outsiders." Soon after moving to Los Angeles, she was cast in "One Tree Hill."
She is also an accomplished singer trained in New York by Richard Barrett, the director of the Brooklyn College of Opera, and in Los Angeles by renowned voice teacher Eric Vetro. She is also one-half of the band Everly, founded with her friend Amber Sweeney. Everly is expected to release their album in 2012.
Work on One Tree Hill
As well as appearing as Haley James Scott, Lenz has also directed the following episodes
SoundtrackAs a recording artist and part of the main cast, Lenz's music has often been heard on the series, most commonly being sung by the character Haley James Scott.
|Elsewhere||"Suddenly Everything Has Changed" and "Like You Like An Arsonist"||Written and orignally recorded by Sarah McLachlan.|
|Let Me Fall||"We Might As Well Be Strangers" and "Let The Reigns Go Loose"||-|
|When The Stars Go Blue||"Truth, Bitter Truth", "The Trick Is To Keep Breathing" and "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea"||Duet between Lenz and co-star Tyler Hilton. Written and orignally recorded by Ryan Adams. Featured on the One Tree Hill Soundtrack: Volume 1.|
|Halo||"How A Resurrection Really Feels", "Brave New World" and "Just Watch The Fireworks"||Featured on the One Tree Hill Soundtrack: Volume 2, crediting Lenz as Haley James Scott|
|Leaving Town Alive||"What Do You Go Home To?"||Plays briefly. Lenz duets with Jeff Cohen|
|Let The Fire Stars||"What Do You Go Home To?"||-|
|Feel This||"What Comes After The Blues?", "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream, Part 1" and "Even Fairy Tale Characters Would Be Jealous"||Also featured the band Enation, of which Lenz's ex-husband Michael Galeotti is a member. Performed by Lenz and Enation at the USO concerty|
|I Want Something That I Want||"Messin' With The Kid"||Features Lenz and Grace Potter and was released as part of an EP by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals entitled The One Tree Hill Sessions|
|Karen's Cafe||"We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)"||This song was recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly under the name Hotel Cafe. It was specially re-recorded for use in the episode|
|Scheming Star||"We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)"||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|Mrs. Scott||"We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)"||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|Quicksand||"4:30 A.M (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad)"||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|Maybe||"Now You Lift Your Eyes To The Sun" and "You Know I Love You, Don't You||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|Flying Machine||"Weeks Go By Like Days"||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|The Girl In The Moon||"Weeks Go By Like Days"||Recorded and released by Lenz as part of Everly|
|Never Gonna Be||"Weeks Go By Like Days"||-|
|Walk On The Ocean||"This Is My House, This Is My Home"||Cover of the song orignally by Toad the Wet Sprocklet|
|Blue Skies||"One Tree Hill"||Cover of the song orignallly by Irving Berlin good actress|
Awards for One Tree Hill
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Breakout TV Star Female: for "One Tree Hill" (2003)||Nominated|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Fresh Face Female for: "One Tree Hill" (2003)||Nominated|
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Sidekick for: "One Tree Hill" (2003)||Nominated|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Scene Stealer Female for: "One Tree Hill"||Nominated|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Parental Unit for: "One Tree Hill" (with James Lafferty)||Nominated|
- Bethany Joy Lenz was credited fourth during the first six seasons - after Chad Michael Murray, James Lafferty and Hilarie Burton and before Sophia Bush. The first episode of Season 7 reversed the order of Galeotti and Bush, crediting Galeotti third after Lafferty and Bush. This was amended in the following episode and Galeotti is currently credited second.
- Bethany Joy Lenz married during filming forcing a change of the credits to her new name Bethany Joy Galeotti. This change was effective as of Brave New World.
- Although she divorced before the finale of the series the filming of season nine had wrapped so her return to her maiden name although before the end of the series, wasn't reflected.
- One Tree Hill was the first time Bethany Joy was credited by her full name being previously credited as Joie Lenz.
- Bethany Joy was genuinely pregnant (although with her first child, not her second) during the filming of Season 8.
- She became the mother of a baby girl, Maria Rose Galeotti, in late February 2011, with her then husband Michael Galeotti.
- Released the limited CD "Preincarnate" featuring eight original tracks (2002)
- Her hobbies are Photography, painting, writing, horseback riding, knitting, and making stationery.
- Is also a talented musician and singer with a wide vocal range.
- Goes by her middle name "Joy."
- Impressed producers so much during her three week stint as "Teenage Reva Clone" on "The Guiding Light" (1952), she was re-hired later that year in the contract role of "Michelle Bauer" on the daytime serial.
- Her favorite musicians are: Sheryl Crow, U2, Coldplay, "and anything that's not a sellout".
- Her favorite TV shows are: "Joan of Arcadia" (2003), "Alias" (2001), "I Love Lucy" (1951), "Lost" (2004), "Arrested Development" (2003) and "Friends" (1994).
- Played, on guitar, and sang the National Anthem in the "One Tree Hill" (2003) cast Super Bowl in early 2004.
- Works heavily with Love146, an organization working to end child sex slavery and exploitation. In May 2011, she started a Tread on Trafficking campaign to raise money for the organization.
- Started an online boutique called "Lark" to raise money for charity. Every design featured on the website is an original by Joy.
- Wrote a musical stage version of Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook with good friend and Grammy nominated producer, Ron Aniello.
- Writing a 1920s era rotating internet novel called "Diamond Gothic" with actress Abigail Spencer and comedian JC Coccoli.
- Close friends with "One Tree Hill" (2003) costars Sophia Bush, Shantel VanSanten, and Chad Michael Murray.
- Shantel VanSanten was in the delivery room when she gave birth to her daughter, Maria.
- Took the "Julius Caesar" book her character Haley gives Lucas in season one of "One Tree Hill" (2003) when the show ended. She had the entire cast and crew sign it.