Hilarie Ross Burton was born and raised in Sterling Park, Virginia. She is the oldest of four children and describes her family as tight-knit. Hilarie developed a passion for acting early in life. Shortly after moving to New York to go to school and pursuing her acting dream, she landed the coveted job of VJ at MTV. She won a guest spot interviewing on the red carpet for MTV and did so well she ended up with a job. She guest starred as a VJ on one episode of "Dawson's Creek", with her One Tree Hill co-star Chad Michael Murray . Soon after, she got the role that started her Hollywood fame as Peyton Sawyer on "One Tree Hill". While working on "One Tree Hill" she's done movies such as "Our Very Own" (2005), "The List" (2007), "Normal Adolescent Behavior" (2007), and "Solstice" (2007) with her One Tree Hill co-star Elisabeth Harnois. She is now a recurring role on White Collar and Grey's Anatomy.
- Attended New York University and Fordham University at Lincoln Center.
- Appeared on cover of the Jan/Feb 2004 issue of American Cheerleader magazine.
- She is the oldest of four children. She has three younger brothers-Billy, Johnny, and Conrad - whom she nicknamed Billy Awesome, Jonny Kickass, and C-Rock.
- Her dad, Bill, is an antique collector and her mom, Lisa, is a real estate agent.
- Her favorite musicians are: Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Elvis Costello, David Bowie, and Elvis Presley.
- Her favorite movies are: Funny Lady and Coal Miner's Daughter.
- Her favorite TV show is Freaks and Geeks (Hilarie travels with the DVD boxed set).
- Her favorite book is "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury.
- Her hobbies are collecting antiques, knitting, and crocheting.
- She has a cat named Poe. (Named after writer Edgar Allan Poe).
- According to Teen People magazine, her worst vice is cussing.
- Hilarie and two of her "One Tree Hill" co-stars were on "Dawson's Creek" with her; Chad Michael Murray and Lee Norris.
- Appears in the Jack's Mannequin video "The Mixed Tape"
- Ranked #77 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.
- Once having gotten her role on One Tree Hill in North Carolina, she worked Monday through Thursday, and then returned every Friday back to New York to work on MTV.
- Bought a Gold 1986 Mercedes in March 2004.
- Her "One Tree Hill" (2003) character Peyton, works with her mother Ellie (Sheryl Lee), who battles breast cancer, on a compilation CD called "Friends with Benefit" to benefit the National Breast Cancer Foundation. That CD was actually released as a tie-in album, with a portion of its proceeds going directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation to assist in their efforts to promote early detection awareness among young women.
- In a relationship with actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan since early 2009. She gave birth to their first child, a boy named Augustus 'Gus' Morgan , in February 2010.
- Was a bridesmaid at the wedding of "One Tree Hill" (2003) costar Danneel Ackles.
- Was married to Ian Prange who she meet on the set of OTH from 2004-2008.