"Hundred" is the twelfth episode of the fifth season of One Tree Hill and the 100th produced episode of the series. It was broadcast on March 18, 2008. On the very special 100th episode of "One Tree Hill," it's Lucas and Lindsey's wedding day and Peyton must choose whether to intervene or lose her true love forever. Nathan uses the occasion to attempt a reconciliation with Haley, and the recently paroled Dan shows up for the family reunion.
SynopsisLucas is driving along the road with Jamie and Haley in the car. He remembers a conversation he had with Jamie telling him about how him, his uncle and his mom would go driving on the outskirts of Tree Hill and Keith would let him drive. Remembering this as one of the best days of his life, he lets Jamie drive the car as he did with his uncle. Peyton drives up to the church Lucas is due to be getting married in. As she watches, she sees Lucas and her coming out married. She smiles as the car behind beeps at her and Peyton realises the sad truth that Lucas is marrying Lindsey. Brooke is in a wedding dress and smiles happily. Millicent then walks in and Brooke snaps out of her dream as she puts the final details to Lindsey’s dress. Millicent compliments Brooke’s work as Brooke smiles sadly realising she is not the one getting married. Nathan waits downstairs for Haley, as she walks in he apologises and tells her how much he loves her. Haley goes to walk away, but he turns her around and kisses her. As they do, Haley begins to kiss back, and it starts raining in their house. They continue to kiss happily. Nathan realises it was all a dream and snaps out of it whilst in the shower.
Haley and Lucas are at the harbour. They begin to talk about Haley not liking Lucas’ new book and telling him he picked the wrong girl. Haley tells him it is the last time she reads his book, and Lucas tells her the book is not about Peyton. Haley then tells him it is about yearning and wanting and she does think the book is about Peyton as she thinks he is still in love with her and to not show Lindsey the pages no matter what. Lucas then reveals he already has as he waves someone off a boat. He shouts for his mom and Karen runs off the harbour. She hugs Haley, Lucas and Jamie with a greeting. Lucas and Jamie then ask where Lily is, and Karen tells them she is with Andy and they look up to find Lily waving at them with Andy Hargrove. After they meet each other, Karen goes to Keith’s grave to put some flowers down. Lucas tells Andy how great it is that he is with his mom as Andy tells him that he would give it all up for Keith to be there today for him. Lucas thanks him. Dan comes out the bathroom of his motel and puts a suit jacket on to complete his suit. He looks in the mirror and says to himself that weddings are perfect family reunions. He whistles the wedding march song to himself and as he picks up a bottle of cologne next to a picture of grandson, he places some on him and smiles to himself, beginning to whistle the death march tune and smugly smirking to himself.
Nathan walks in to see Lucas and Jamie getting ready for his wedding. Jamie tells him that Haley looks pretty today as Nathan asks him if he knows the plan. Jamie knows that as ring bearer he has to walk down the aisle and give the rings to Nathan. Jamie then asks if his wedding day was the best day of his life, but Nathan tells him that graduation was his best day, as it was the day he was born. Nathan then asks Lucas if Haley has made any progress towards him, but Lucas says no and especially not with Karen being back, the mother who raised a son with only his uncle and no dad. A flower man then walks in for the bride and as he goes to walk out realising he has the wrong room, both Nathan and Lucas try to get the flowers to see Haley or Lindsey. They begin arguing down the corridor going to deliver them. Nathan tells Lucas that if he lets him take the flowers, he gets to see Haley, but Lucas argues that he hasn’t seen Lindsey in a week. Nathan tells him that it is bad luck and nothing could happen before anyway, but Lucas says it could. Nathan then argues that him and Lindsey are good, but him and Haley aren’t. As they argue, Jamie walks in with the flowers, Lucas and Nathan try to go and talk as Haley answers the door, but she tells them it is bad luck and shuts the door in their faces. Lucas then knocks on the door and Lily answers. He asks her to let him in, but Lily shouts no as he is bad luck and slams the door in his face. Lucas remembers him getting in one night and Lindsey kissing him and tells him that she loves the book and how romantic it is. Lucas asks how and Lindsey tells him she cried so much due to the plot of a scientist who felt lost in the world until he saw a comet. He then waits for the comet to return even though it is practically impossible it will ever happen again. Lindsey thinks it is beautiful and heartbreaking and feels so lucky to have him as her future husband.
Brooke is paid a visit by Karen, and as she tells them she is closed, she turns around and is overwhelmed to find her there. She runs up to her and asks if she hates her for changing her cafe, but Karen says she is proud of her. They hug and catch up as Karen asks how Peyton is. Brooke tells her that she is a mess but putting on a brave face. She then asks how Brooke is, and Brooke tells her she is happy, at least trying. She then asks how she managed to make everything okay after everything she has been through as she wants to be that person one day, and Karen tells her she already is, that she has grown the most and is only scratching the surface. Just then Peyton runs in and sees Karen and is overwhelmed. As they go to rush out, Karen tells them that not to give up on love as they may find love in places they never imagined in a relationship, work or even their children and if they do not get it, they may even get something better. Jamie and Lily are on the stairs and Lily is telling Jamie he has to call her Aunt, but Jamie refuses. Lindsey then walks out and the two children stare in awe as Jamie says she looks like Cinderella. Brooke and Peyton pull up for the wedding as Brooke is ranting about how Owen took his guy roommate for a camping trip away and as they approach the church, Skills offers them a beer from the back of his car with Millicent, Junk and Mouth there too. Skills then asks Peyton if she has a plan to steal Lucas back and the others sigh at him, and Skills jokes that she should stand up when the vicar asks if anyone knows a reason why they should not be wed. Brooke tells him they don’t do it at real weddings, but Skills thinks they should, for the drama. Brooke tells him Peyton will be okay, but Skills knows she isn’t. As the others go in, Brooke tells Peyton she will be okay, but Peyton says she needs a minute alone first. She looks up and sees Lindsey in her dress, before making her way in. As everyone begins arriving, Dan sits opposite waiting to make his entrance, but Haley sees him. She tells him he will not be going in that church. She tells him not to joke with her when she receives a sarcastic comment and tells her that he will not see anyone and that it will be the last time they ever talk.
Peyton takes her seat in the church as Lucas waits to start the ceremony and Nathan tells him he is a great guy and he has his back always. The band start up and Lucas takes his place with Nathan. Haley is first to walk down the aisle as Nathan watches and remembers their wedding night as he asked her what she was thinking, and she tells him important things like this is the night they will tell their children about and their children’s children. He tells Haley he would like a little girl, just like her as he tells her he will love her forever. As the band plays, one of the musicians turns to a woman and tells her that she is welcome to stay there, but there is room below. Carrie turns around and tells her that she is fine and that her son, meaning Jamie, is the ring bearer. She smiles and turns to watch Jamie walking down the aisle. Lily is next to walk down the aisle and as she throws flowers up in the air past Peyton, she remembers when Lucas won the State Championship and declared his love for her. The band then start up with the wedding song and everyone stands to watch Lindsey walk down the aisle. Lindsey slowly walks to the front of the church happily as everyone smiles around her, except Peyton. The ceremony begins and Brooke stares at Lucas. She remembers when she told him she came home. Telling him it was a lot to process and as Lucas asks if she is sure, Brooke tells him she is sure, as is her heart. The vows begin, and Peyton stands up. She tells Lucas he cannot marry Lindsey as he loves her and that when he fixed her car, she fell in love and when she said ‘someday’ to his proposal, someday is now. Peyton then realises she was imagining it all and the vows continue and Peyton is heartbroken as Lucas declares ‘I do.’
As Lucas puts the ring on Lindsey, Jamie asks to go to the toilet. He asks Skills to go alone so Lily won’t laugh at her, so Skills lets him. As he walks out, Carrie stops him in the corridor. Jamie is delighted to see her, as Carrie explains that his mom and dad let her be with him again and tells him to leave with her, if he trusts her. Jamie takes her hand, and they leave. As the ceremony draws to a close, Lindsey suddenly has an epiphany. She tells Lucas it was a comet the boy saw. She asks when he first spoke to Peyton. Lucas remembers the first day him and Peyton spoke when her car, a comet, broke down. Lindsey then remembers her looking at the car Peyton drove to the wedding in, the comet, and realises what the book was about. She reminds him of how he wrote that he would forever be in love with the comet and Lindsey tells him she will not marry him and runs out the church in tears as their friends and family gasp in shock. Meanwhile, Carrie runs out the church in shock as Peyton looks up in tears and Lucas sits down in shock.
As the church empties, Lucas still sits alone at the front. Lily gives him a lily to smell as Nathan comes in to join him and tells him she has gone as Lucas admits he regrets not letting her understand and be comfortable with his history. Nathan then asks what happens next, and Lucas tells he wants her back and Nathan tells her to get up and get her. Nathan tells him to look in his heart and if that is how he feels, that it is Lindsey he wants, then he has to go and get her. Haley runs out of the church, realizing Jamie is gone. She tells Karen that Dan was here as Skills comes out apologizing after looking. Brooke goes to see Peyton and tells her to go and talk to him, but Peyton says he told the minister that he would love and cherish Lindsey forever. Brooke tells her that she came home because, even though she made all the money she ever wanted, she is as alone as she has ever been and she is only 22. She tells Peyton to talk to him and not let any lies he told today stop her. They hug as Brooke tells her she wants to have a baby and that is why she came back to Tree Hill. As she tells Peyton, Mouth and Millicent come behind them and tell them Jamie has gone missing. Nathan gets out the church and Haley tells him that Jamie has gone and that Dan was here earlier. Shocked, Nathan runs out into the street and stops a police car and tells them his son is missing. As the police begin accusing him of drinking, Nathan tells them that his son is in danger, possibly kidnapped by a murderer. As they report Jamie’s disappearance, Haley breaks down in tears, terrified for her son. Meanwhile, Carrie is dying Jamie’s hair black to avoid him being recognized. As Jamie asks if his mom will be mad, Carrie tells him that she is his mother now.
Jamie is watching cartoons as Carrie is searching through her bag. Carrie tells him she has to go out and he has to stay here, but to keep the door locked until she comes back with a present. Jamie asks when they are going home, and Carrie gets angry asking if he wants to play a game of hide and seek. She tells him to hide and not to come out until she says. She goes out the motel as Dan watches her leave the room. In Jamie’s room, Haley sits terrified as there is no luck in finding Dan. Haley then tells him that Nathan should have been there to protect him, as a father, and she should have let him come home. She begins to sob, telling Nathan she cannot lose him. At the motel, Dan knocks for Jamie, who hears his grandfather. He tells Jamie he is here to help and to take him home, but Jamie backs away scared. Lucas gets home to find her sitting tearfully reading his book aloud. He tells her it is just a story, but Lindsey thinks otherwise and tells him that even though she loves him, his heart is conflicted and she has been denying that someday she could change it. She tells Lucas it is an epic love story, but not theirs and neither is her ring. She takes it off and goes to leave telling him that ‘people always leave,’ and walks out. Carrie gets back to try and find Jamie. As she looks under the bed, Dan walks around the corner and begin to strangle her after throwing her up against the wall. He tells her that if she ever goes near his family again, he will kill her. The police are in Nathan’s house as Skills tells Mouth he will never forgive himself. The whole family sits in fear and Lucas walks in to comfort Haley. He hugs her telling her he will come home. Just then, Jamie walks in the door. As the whole family hug him delight, Jamie tells them Dan saved him and Dan walks in and everyone, including Karen look at him in shock.
- ”So, you wanna talk about this?”
- ”Well, you hate my book and you think I picked the wrong girl to spend the rest of my life with. What is there to talk about?”
- ”And who is this?”
- ”It’s me, Aunt Karen; James Lucas Scott”
- ”No, you are not James Lucas Scott. Jamie Scott is a baby”
- ”I do love a wedding. Perfect occasion for a family reunion.”
- ”When you married mama was it your best day ever?”
- ”Actually, I think the day I graduated high school was my best day ever.”
- ”How come?”
- ”Well, because that’s the day you were born.”
- ”It’s beautiful, Lucas, and heartbreaking. An epic love story.”
- ”It’s about a comet.”
- ”It’s about love in it’s purest form. When I think about how it came from your heart and your mind, it makes me so happy to know that I found you, and that I get to be your wife.”
- ”She’s a mess. She’s trying to put on a brave face and be noble, but we all thought this was gonna be her day.”
- ”I made Lindsey’s wedding gown, and it got me thinking about how I was supposed to make yours.”
- ”It’s okay.”
- ”It’s not okay, and somehow you managed to make it okay. And I just wonder, 'cause I’ve always wondered where that strength comes from; that dignity and grace that you have put on in the face of everything that’s happened in your life. Because I really wanna be that kind of person someday.”
- ”You already are, Brooke Davis. You’ve come further than anyone I know, and you want to know a secret? You have just scratched the surface.”
- ”I’m not one for speeches, but you’re a great guy Luke; you’re a great friend, and you’re a great brother. Whatever life throws at you, I got your back, all right?”
- ”Lucas you can’t...I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but you just can’t, because I love you, and because you fixed my car...but remember that day? Because that changed everything, and I just, I didn’t know it at the time, but when you fixed my car, you fixed my heart. And when you proposed to me two years ago, I just wasn’t ready. And I was lost and scared, so I said ‘someday.’ But someday is now, Luke, it is. Someday is now and I love you. Please don’t leave me again, people always leave.”
- ”At least that’s what I should've said. Instead, I said nothing. And he said...”
- ”I do.”
- ”It was a comet, Luke...The boy saw a comet...The boy saw the comet and he felt as though his life had meaning. And when it went away, he waited his entire life for it to come back to him.”
- ”Lindsey, I love you. But this really isn’t the time for a book review, okay?”
- ”What was the first day you ever spoke to Peyton?...Please.”
- ”Her car broke down.”
- ”...The boy saw the comet and suddenly his life had meaning. I’m sorry Lucas, I can’t marry you.”
- ”Did I ever tell you the one about the girl who got everything she ever wanted?”
- ”Did she feel horrible?”
- ”At first, but it’s only 'cause she had a good heart. And then she fixed her makeup and smoothed out her pretty dress and went and talked to the boy she loved.”
- ”I’ve spent four years working these endless hours to fill this void that all the success in the world is never gonna fill, and I realized that what I actually want is to have a family.”
- ”My name is Dan Scott, I think you know my grandson. It’s okay, you can blink once for yes. That’s what I thought. Well, you’re done knowing him for the rest of time. And if you forget, or if you decide to go anywhere near my family again, let’s just say this. I killed my brother in cold blood, I’d have no trouble killing you.”
- ”Are you okay? What happened to you?”
- ”I’m fine, Grandpa Dan saved me.”
- ”When I was a boy, my family took me on a trip, we didn’t go to any exotic place, we didn’t go anywhere glamorous, we just drove”
- ”Where did you go, Uncle Lucas?”
- ”We drove the back roads of Tree Hill, and we saw all kinds of wonderful things”
- ”But where were you going?”
- ”Everywhere. Anywhere. But were we ended up really wasn’t the point. It was the things we saw, and the people we met along the way”
- ”Who was with you”
- ”It was just my mom, my uncle and me”
- ”Where was your daddy?”
- ”He wasn’t there. But something happened that day, something magical”
- ”What was it, what happened”
- ”My uncle let me drive”
- ”Were you scared?”
- ”No, I mean, the truth is, I’m not sure I ever felt safer. That day, in that car, with my uncle and my mom is one of the best days of my life, just like today”
- "My Hometown" - Bruce Springsteen
- "Jane, I Still Feel The Same" - Matthew Ryan
- "Shine" - Anna Nalick
- "Never Tear Us Apart" - INXS (NOTE: This song is replaced by "Ride" by Cary Brothers on the fifth season DVD)
- "Winter" - Holly Conlan
- "Apologies" - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
This episode's title originated from the song Hundred, originally sung by The Fray.
- This is the series' 100th episode.
- Lucas’ voice over at the beginning of the episode represents the journey of One Tree Hill and was specially selected by director Mark Schwan.
- This is One Tree Hill's fifth mid-season finale.
- James Lafferty makes his 100th appearance as Nathan Scott in this episode.
- This episode marks the return of Karen and Lily, who were last seen in the season four finale.
- This episode also marks the return of Andy, who was last seen in season 2.
Nathan imagining kissing and reconciling with Haley in the beginning is a reference to their first kiss scene in episode 1x08, The Search for Something More.