|← S3||One Tree Hill Season 4||S5 →|
|#01||"The Same Deep Water As You"||#08||"Nothing Left To Say But Goodbye"||#15||"Prom Night At Hater High"|
|#02||"Things I Forgot At Birth"||#09||"Some You Give Away"||#16||"You Call It Madness But I Call It Love"|
|#03||"Good News For People Who Love Bad News"||#10||"Songs To Love And Die By"||#17||"It Gets The Worst At Night"|
|#04||"Can't Stop This Thing We Started"||#11||"Everything In Its Right Place"||#18||"The Runaway Found"|
|#05||"I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness"||#12||"Resolve"||#19||"Ashes Of Dreams You Let Die"|
|#06||"Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"||#13||"Pictures Of You"||#20||"The Birth And Death Of Day"|
|#07||"All These Things That I've Done"||#14||"Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers"||#21||"All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone"|
"Songs To Love And Die By" is the tenth episode and mid-season finale of the fourth season of One Tree Hill and the 77th produced episode of the series. It was broadcasted on December 6, 2006. Lucas receives an unlikely visitor -- his supposedly dead Uncle Keith. Haley's life and the life of her unborn child are threatened when she experiences serious complications with her pregnancy and Nathan wrestles with the guilt and consequences of his dealings with Daunte. Dan tries to make amends for Keith's murder and Peyton and Brooke try to patch up their differences.
SynopsisEditAs ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ plays on the hospital monitors, Nathan cries awaiting the news of his wife. He remembers them walking home as Daunte drives up to them and Haley is hit by a car while saving Nathan. Both him and Lucas run after her, Nathan goes to see Daunte, drags him out the car and hits him repeatedly, until Dan grabs his hand, he checks his pulse and tells Nathan he killed him. He tells his son to run and Dan decides to take the blame, by hitting his hand off the ground before the police arrive, he seems the only suspect for the crime. Meanwhile, Lucas is telling the paramedic about Haley and her pregnancy, but as he does, he suffers a cardiac arrest and collapses in the middle of the street. As he lies in the street, he wakes back up to find no one else around him. He walks down the empty street in shock and confusion with the empty streets around him. He sees one man, and runs after him, as he catches up with him, Lucas finds out it is Keith. Assuming he is alive, Lucas continues to walk with Keith questioning him, but Keith tells him he will tell him later as he is not exactly alive, but they need to hurry as they don’t want to miss something. He rushes Lucas through the hospital as they see Haley rushed into hospital, followed by himself being rushed past him. He remembers the accident, and Keith leads him to see Brooke telling Peyton that he is in the hospital. Lucas worries about everything bad that has happened to Peyton, but Keith says good things happen too, like Lucas. Lucas then asks what he is, and Keith tells him he is a guide and that he is not dead, yet. When asking about Haley, Keith shows Lucas them at the hospital, Nathan asks about Haley who is not doing good and the baby doesn’t stand a big chance of survival. As Lucas asks Keith if she will be alright, Keith tells him he doesn’t know, leading Lucas to be angry about all the good people who suffer like Keith, Haley and Peyton and asks what the point in being a good person is. With this in mind, Keith decides to show Lucas what life would be like if he was not a good person, opening the elevator doors and leading him to Tree Hill High. </span> He walks with and sees a goth at the table, who he doesn’t recognized. As Lucas realizes it’s Brooke, he goes to ask what happened to her, she is hostile towards him and tells him to stay away from her. Shocked at the gothic looking Brooke, Lucas asks where he is, which Keith tells him it is life if he chose a different route, but assures him real life is still there. In real life, Dan is put into a cell as Brooke and Peyton find a devastated Nathan in the waiting room. Nathan begins blaming himself and admits it was no accident, pushing him to want to have died under the water at his wedding to stop this from happening. On the hospital monitors in Haley’s room, ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ continues as Nathan stands at the accident. He remembers being under the water trapped and the car sinking with himself submerged. He remembers a voice saying it will be ok and he begins shouting off the bridge asking Keith why he had to save him so everything would be ok. He asks him to answer him, but no one replies, even though Lucas and Keith stand behind him. Lucas asks if it was Keith, but Keith says it was Nathan. Lucas then begins to blame himself and should have lost the game, but Keith brings him back to the world where he is a lesser guy. As they go, they find themselves in Tree Hill’s record shop. Nathan walks in and asks for the Haley James album, on vinyl. The shopkeeper gives him a promo copy and Nathan smashes it against the desk before walking out. Keith explains that Haley never went back as Lucas didn’t go to New York to get her back for Nathan. He tells Lucas that all the conversations he have matter. As they walk out, they walk past a record of Chris Keller and Haley James singing together, Haley then disappears as Peyton is in the record shop in real life. She is searching through songs as Max, the record shop owner, approaches and tells her that she goes to the record shop to look for faith. Peyton then breaks down in tears, admitting she just wants everything to be ok, so Max gives her a record and tells her she is too young to not believe everything will not be ok. Back in her room, she listens to the record to begin believing again. Haley still lies unconscious as Nathan sits in doubt by her side. Karen sits in church praying for her son as Lucas visits himself in hospital. Keith then goes to see Karen with Lucas and tells him it was stupid to not take the pills and upset his mom. As they leave, Lucas asks why they are always in such a hurry, but Keith tells him they are running out of time for the reason he came to see him. He opens the hospital church door that leads into the place he was shot in Tree Hill high. He walks in as Lucas follows to find Jimmy and Keith dead on the floor. As Lucas freaks out telling him to take it away, Keith tells him they need to talk about his murder as he needs to know something he doesn’t already know. As they stand in the corridor, Keith asks Lucas what he saw, which Lucas remembers Jimmy points a gun at him, and is still in disbelief that Jimmy would murder him. Keith then asks then why believe it, but Lucas says that he should never have gone in the school, to which Keith replies that his nephew still can’t see what he is trying to tell him, but he will. Peyton sits under the bridge that her and Brooke used to sit under when her mom died. Brooke soon joins her knowing where she would be. She assures her that Lucas and Haley will be ok as Peyton asks to be friends again, which Brooke agrees to, but admits they can never go back to how they were. As they talk about it, Lucas and Keith stand above on the bridge, Keith tells him they should work it out, as Lucas asks what happened to the Brooke that was a goth. Keith tells her that it was him that helped Brooke in real life. They go to a gravestone where the gothic Brooke is standing in tears. Keith tells him that he never went into the school because he was too selfish and Peyton died. Consequentially, Brooke never forgave herself for leaving Peyton in the school alone. Nathan goes to see Dan and tells him he is going to turn himself in, but Dan refuses telling him that he is right where he should be, but Nathan says he doesn’t deserve it as he never killed anyone, to which Dan doesn’t answer. Instead, the subject is changed to Haley and her son, Dan is overjoyed to hear it is a boy and forces Nathan to go, before saying he loves him. Dan hangs the phone up not replying to Nathan. Keith and Lucas are in Keith’s garage and remember the first time he spoke to Peyton and when he told her that he believed in her artwork, which Peyton needed. He tells him that because he said that and sent her art into Thud, forced Peyton to be a better person. In real life, Peyton goes to visit Lucas and asks him to let her save him. Meanwhile, Nathan is with Haley, begging her to move her fingers so he knows she is still with him, but breaks down in tears when there is no response from her. In jail, Dan is visited by Keith and agitates him and tells him that the shame and guilt will get worse everyday, but Dan tells him that he is fixing things by helping Nathan out, but Keith tells him that Nathan may not have killed Daunte. Keith continues to tease him, but Keith tells Dan he forgives him, as Dan begs him to take it back. Keith refuses as his chest begins dripping with blood from his chest, and as Dan bangs on the jail doors, Keith appears at the door covered in blood and tells him he may forgive him, but hell won’t. Peyton goes to visit Haley as Brooke goes to visit Lucas and they both deliver the same messages that they need to wake up to protect Peyton/Brooke as they can’t do it anymore, but they don’t want each other to know they had to conversation. Meanwhile, in church, Nathan remembers being under the car and seeing Keith telling him it will be okay, he begins talking to god asking to help Haley as he deserves to take the punishment for his mistakes and don’t take his wife or child away from him. As he says this, Keith delivers the same message he got when Nathan was drowning, just as Peyton bursts in. Nathan races to see an awake Haley. He is relieved and they hug. Keith and Lucas go to visit his grave and Keith admits he came to help Lucas believe in himself as he has so many good things going on in his life. Lucas then asks that if there is a heaven, then he wants to go with him. Keith warns him if he does go back to real life it will be hard, but eventually there will be happiness. Lucas then notices a woman at Peyton’s grave and asks who it is. Keith is soon to correct him, it is actually Lucas’ grave and Lucas is soon to realize it is an older Peyton. He is in shock, as Keith tells him she never let go of him. Lucas then decides he has to go back as he never told Peyton he loved her. Keith begins to say goodbye as Lucas begs him to stay and that he will miss him, but Keith assures him he is with him every day. As they hug, Keith assures him they will see each other again and to believe that they will. Then he gets the shockers from the garage and shocks him. Lucas wakes up in the street and the paramedics get him into the ambulance, just as Keith delivers the same message he did to Nathan, to breathe and it will be ok. He walks off into the distance. Haley gets her scan to see if there is a baby still, and eventually, they hear a heartbeat. The two sigh with relief and Haley breaks down in tears. Brooke goes to walk in to see Lucas, but as she sees Peyton asleep at his side, she leaves. As Lucas sleeps, he remembers all the different moments he spent with Keith and finally the moment he spent in the high school as Keith tells him not to believe that Jimmy killed him and to open his eyes and remember what he saw that day. As Keith repeats to open his eyes, Lucas wakes up in the hospital, taking Keith’s instructions.
- ”I don’t understand this, I mean, What are you Keith? An angel? A bad dream?”
- ”More like a guide”
- ”What’s the point in being a good person if this is how it goes?”
- ”And so you’re asking if you weren’t a good person, would it change anything”
- ”You know, considering apparently I’m lying on my death bed right now, yes”
- ”Well, let’s take a look”
- ”It should of been me, it’s all my fault”
- ”No it wasn’t, it was an accident, like the bridge...”
- ”No it wasn’t. And now Haley’s in surgery and even if she makes it, the baby could, she could still lose the baby and Lucas could die. My dad’s in jail...I wish I would’ve died under that water, none of this would have happened.”
- ”So it was you”
- ”No, it was him. Most people are stronger than they know, they just forget to believe in it sometimes”
- ”So, I heard about Lucas, how’s he doing?”
- ”He’s not so good. Haley’s not so good, Nathan’s not so good. Nobody’s good”
- ”I remember when I found you down here when your mom died”
- ”That was eight years ago. You know Ellie used to watch us down here? She told me that once”
- ”It’s not gonna be like that this time Peyton. You’re not gonna lose Lucas and Haley the way you lost Ellie and your mom”
- ”Or like I lost you? I miss you Brooke”
- ”You never went back into the school that day Luke. At least, the selfish version of yourself never went back. Peyton died that day, and Brooke never forgave herself for leaving her behind. So the next time you think that being the best version of yourself doesn’t matter, you look into Peyton’s eyes and every time you do, you’ll know that it has and that it does”
- ”Hey baby, you know how you’re always telling me you’re not going anywhere? Well, I need to hold you to that right now, okay? I just need you to come back to me. Listen, just move one of your fingers if you can hear me. Just move on of those beautiful fingers and let me know that you’re still here with me”
- ”Who’s that woman at Peyton’s grave?”
- ”Someone who used to know her, but it’s not Peyton’s grave...Well, Peyton lived because you saved her that day...It’s your grave Luke, if that’s what you choose”
- ”And the woman...Peyton”
- ”She lived a good life Luke, she never let go of you”
- ”I still don’t believe that Jimmy killed you Keith”
- ”Well then, why do you? Jimmy Edwards was your friend Luke, you knew him. You were kind to him. After everything we’ve seen, don’t you think that that kindness had an impact?”
- ”But if it did, then you would still be alive”
- ”Do you really believe that Luke. Look, look into your heart, okay? It may be flawed physically, but it’s a good one, and it’s what makes you, you. Luke, you’ve changed other people’s lives by opening it up. Don’t close that off. Luke , just look around this hallway, you were here that day, what did you see?...Open your eyes Luke, open your eyes the way you’ve opened your heart. Open your eyes, Luke. Open your eyes, Luke. Open your eyes. Open your eyes. Open your eyes, Lucas ”
- "Have you ever wondered what marks our timing? If one life can really make an impact on the world? Or if the choices we make matter? Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to go back. In this case, just a few minutes."
- Lucas Scott (opening voice-over)
- "Have you ever wondered what marks our timing? If one life can really make an impact on the world? Or if the choices we make matter? I believe they do. And I believe that one man can change many lives... for better, or worse."
- Lucas Scott (closing voice-over)
- "Recognition" - Susie Suh
- "Ebbing Seasons" - The Meeting Places
- "Forever And Ever Amen" - 8MM
- "Non-Believer" - La Rocca
This episode's title originated from the album Songs To Love And Die By, originally sung by 8MM.
- Deb, Mouth, Skills, Rachel and Whitey do not appear in this episode.
- This is the first mid-season finale to not feature Deb, Skills and Rachel.
- This is the second mid-season finale to not feature Mouth.
- This is the third mid-season finale to not feature Whitey.
- This is the second mid-season finale to feature Keith.
- Moira Kelly (Karen) appears without speaking lines.
- When the medic is giving Lucas CPR, he is pumping his stomach, not his chest where his heart would be. Pumping his stomach would do nothing in the case of Cardiac arrest.
- Used some scene from It's a Wonderful life with James Stewart.
- The plotline of Keith showing Lucas what life would be like if he was a selfish and bad person is also loosely based on the film.
- The school shooting is mentioned and shown various times throughout this episode.